The number of the super-rich who live in the UK but don’t pay taxes on their offshore income has fallen by 11% after the pandemic imposed tough travel restrictions Figures published by HMRC on Thursday.
UK residents with non-domicile tax status – so-called “non-doms” – in the 2020/21 financial year a total of 68,300, 8,200 fewer than in the previous year. The number has been falling since 2017, with tax experts also citing Brexit and tighter government controls over who can claim the tax break.
The controversy over non-dom status exploded from a niche topic among tax experts into a broad public debate this year after it was revealed that the wife of the Prime Minister candidate Rishi Sunak used the status to avoid an estimated £4.5million in taxes on dividends she received from her billionaire father’s IT business.
After widespread outrage, Sunak’s wife Akshata Murty said she would pay British taxes on all future income, as her tax rules “were incompatible with my husband’s [then] position as Chancellor,” she added, appreciating the “British sense of fairness”.
However, Murty has retained her Non-Dom status, which could allow her family to legally avoid an inheritance tax bill of more than £275million in the future.
HMRC pointed to the UK’s isolation during successive lockdowns as the reason for the decline in non-doms. “We see the main reason for this is that fewer new non-resident taxpayers are coming to the UK to replace those who would normally leave,” it said. “This coincides with travel restrictions caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, which have resulted in a significant reduction in international air, sea and rail travel opportunities to the UK.”
Despite the fall in the number of non-doms, the amount of UK tax and social security they collect remained roughly unchanged at £7.9 billion. In the 2016/17 tax year they collectively paid £9.5bn in taxes.
HMRC said the drop in numbers was also due to residents wanting to change their status in the UK after the government introduced an annual “non-dom levy” of between £30,000 and £60,000. The levy has since April 2017 allowed non-doms to continue to avoid paying tax on offshore income and capital gains unless they bring the money into the UK.
“Following an amendment to the policy in April 2017 removing permanent non-resident taxpayer status, we estimate that at least 10,100 people are claiming UK resident taxpayer status [self-assessment] Tax returns in the tax year ending 2021,” HMRC said. “These are people who were treated as non-resident for UK tax purposes prior to the 2017 Directive.”
However, there were almost 100,000 non-doms in 2016, suggesting that 20,000 people chose to leave the UK and take their millions or billions to another taxing jurisdiction. Tax experts said the decline in non-doms also reflects the growing number of wealthy people leaving the UK because of Brexit.
The vast majority of Non-Doms are non-domestic residents who use status to be taxed only on income and capital gains generated in the UK but not on income and gains generated abroad. Most ordinary people who live and work in the UK pay tax on income and capital gains arising both here and abroad.
Famous non-doms included steel magnate Lakshmi Mittal, media baron Viscount Rothermere and oligarch and former Chelsea football club owner Roman Abramovich.
London had the most non-doms, with 58% of all people in the tax bracket living in the capital. London-based non-doms accounted for 72% of non-doms’ paid income taxes, capital gains taxes and social security contributions, further reflecting the concentration of the country’s wealthy in the capital.
Arun Advani, Associate Professor at the University of Warwick, said: “This is a reminder that while the Non-Dom regime is alien to most people, taking advantage of this tax break is common among the wealthiest. The latest figures show that take-up of this tax benefit remains high and continues to cost the Treasury money during a cost-of-living crisis.”
How to make the most of your travel advertising post-Covid: Best Media Info
You can’t stop looking at those conference announcements, but if you’re anything like your travel agency’s marketing team, you don’t know what to think. You want to know what it all means, but that can be difficult when all the industry jargon and buzzwords are flying around. Fortunately, we’re here to break it down for you in our guide to making the most of your post-Covid travel promotion.
messaging is important to assure customers that you will do everything you can to satisfy them. For example, a sample message might look like this: We want you, our valued customer, to have confidence in our business and in what we do. We take every possible measure to ensure you travel safely when you travel with us. Our customers are our priority and we will continue to take care of them by providing informative updates on the matter. Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything we can do for you.
Tours and safaris are a big deal, with destinations like Africa, Asia and South America being a mainstay. But recently, self-drive tours have caught on in Europe and North America. Self drive tours in Iceland offer people the opportunity to explore countries like Iceland on their own terms. With a few designated highways or scenic routes, you can decide which area best suits your needs.
If you andSer Generated Contentconsider these four tips:
- Define your niche – who is your typical traveller?
- Establish a consistent content creation schedule – when do you publish new blog posts?
- Leverage partnerships with influencers and experts in your industry – what do they have that you don’t have?
- Interact with customers on social media – how can you address them with your brand’s voice?
Post Covid, many travel agents are looking for ways to get back on their feet. One way you can use this time as an advantage is by using it Offers and discounts offered in the travel industry. For example, you can take advantage of Groupon’s vacation deals or Airbnb’s weekly deals. This makes your company more attractive and up-to-date in a competitive market. It can also attract new customers because they know they won’t have to pay full price. You can also offer your own discount or deal via social media like Facebook or Twitter promotions for 10% off purchases within the next two weeks.
Investing in SEO (Search Engine Optimization) can help you get more exposure to your website so more people can find you when they search for a travel company. First, make sure your site is mobile-responsive and can be easily crawled by Google. Next, create compelling content that includes a variety of keywords and links to other pages on your site. That way, Google knows what your site is about and can rank you higher in search results.
Finest Luxury Resorts With Outstanding Hospitality In Dubai
One of the largest cities in the United Arab Emirates, Dubai is home to some of the largest buildings ever created. New structures are added to the city almost daily, changing its appearance. It is very amazing to see how an abandoned area has developed with an abundance of huge bricks. The city has gained a reputation as a center for conducting business as well as a popular holiday destination for both domestic and foreign tourists. How else do you want to describe this metropolis if you have several names to name it? It’s a retail mecca, a honeymoon destination, a day trip destination and an entertainment hotspot, and it has an unforgettable nightlife. Known for the Burj Khalifa, the Palm Islands, its history and tranquil sand dunes, the city of Dubai attracts visitors from all over the world looking to experience its unique culture and way of life.
All of the world’s most prominent luxury hotel chains have facilities in Dubai, some of which own multiple properties. Palm Jumeirah is home to many opulent beach resorts that offer luxurious accommodations, a variety of dining options, and a plethora of water and beach activities. If you want to add something extra special to your vacation, book a trip to one of these luxurious resorts in Dubai. These resorts offer the ideal retreat from the monotonous routine of our everyday life by offering you a truly royal experience that represents the city’s upscale ambience. Here you can partake in a variety of activities, including snapping photos that will drive your Instagram followers crazy, enjoying exquisite meals, and embarking on exotic adventures.
Dubai’s best resorts with outstanding hospitality
- Burj Al Arab, Jumeirah: The Burj Al Arab, one of the most luxurious 5 star hotels Dubai hotels, is considered the most opulent hotel in the world and is also considered the only 7-star hotel in the world. Not only known for its stunning, sailing-inspired design, the opulent resort is also located near Jumeirah Beach on a small peninsula just offshore. The massive structure contains 201 duplex apartments and the tallest atrium in the world. Each of these lavishly appointed suites features a private butler, Hermes bath products, a Jacuzzi and a choice of 9 pillow types.
- Atlantis, the palm tree: Possibly the largest beachfront resort in the world, the gargantuan Atlantis, The Palm sits at the top of the Palm Jumeirah project and overlooks the Arabian Gulf from its recognizable central open space. It resembles a huge brown palace that acts as a gateway to Dubai. With options like Signature Suites, which have glass-walled underwater suites that look through one of the resort’s aquariums, the accommodations here are absolutely amazing. The renowned Royal Bridge Suite, one of the finest and most opulent in Dubai, sits above the hotel’s vast open space.
- Four Seasons Resort, Jumeirah Beach: On Jumeirah Beach on the Arabian Gulf, the sumptuous Four Seasons Resort Dubai offers a true five-star experience. Some of the hotel’s rooms and suites, located near Jumeirah Beach, have views of the ocean and some of the city skyline, while other rooms have views of the resort itself. Each has a furnished balcony and luxurious marble bathrooms that feel like they’re at the spa. Families can enjoy a variety of services and activities at the resort, and the free Children for All Seasons program offers all-day supervised activities. In addition, families staying at the resort receive four passes to Dubai’s amusement and theme parks.
- Waldorf Astoria Dubai Palm Jumeirah: The Waldorf Dubai is located in the middle right of the Palm Jumeirah. All suites and most guest rooms offer sea views and some suites overlook the Arabian Gulf while others offer views over the water of Jumeirah Beach Residence or the downtown Dubai skyline. The suites and rooms are huge, larger than most Palm hotels, and the marble bathrooms are just as large. The Waldorf’s extensive, 200-metre-long private beach offers a variety of opportunities for relaxation and water fun.
- Mandarin Oriental Jumeira, Dubai: This opulent beach resort is located in Jumeira, a recently built beach resort just north of the Jumeirah Beach Due to its location on a peninsula, you have a view of the sea and the skyline of Dubai on the opposite side. Modern and opulent, rooms and suites have amenities like spa-like marble bathrooms and oak-paneled entrances. Some of them have furnished balconies from which you can enjoy views of the sea or the Burj Khalifa.
- Bulgari Resort Dubai: The Bulgari Resort in Dubai is the ideal place to stay if you are looking for a seaside resort with a yacht club. The resort is located in the newly created Jumeira Bay area, close to Jumeirah Beach, on Jumeira Bay Island. The resort is the pinnacle of luxury and one of only a handful owned by Italian jeweler “Bulgari” in the world. There’s no need to queue in a lobby, as the experience begins with in-room check-in. There are rooms, suites, and villas, ranging from opulent hotel rooms to villas that resemble mansions. Villas have features like outdoor hot tubs and private pools.
- Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa, Dubai: This resort is exceptional if you are looking for first class accommodation. The rooms offer a clear and beautiful view of the Arabian Gulf as the hotel is close to the beach. The lush grassland and white sands of the beach are the ideal complement to this award-winning hotel. Your heart and mind will settle just by strolling through its expanse. With 13 on-site restaurants, they have a full range of amenities to meet your every need. They offer a wide range of cuisines including Mexican, Italian, Continental and Arabic. You will love the food and the courteous service. At its secluded beach, you can also take part in some water sports, including kayaking, water skiing, banana boat trips, etc.
In addition to the above resorts, there are several resorts in the city where families can enjoy themselves. That concludes our list of top resorts in Dubai. In addition, Dubai has some desert resorts that represent an opulent version of a nomadic lifestyle. So choose your preferred option, make your reservation and catch the next flight to Dubai.
The LLM Readers’ Travel Awards hits another successful year, the results are in
After a difficult few years for the travel and hospitality industry, 2022 has seen a resurgence in the search for luxury destinations abroad, and with renewed vigor for travel on home soil, it seems avid travelers are once again enjoying the best of both worlds.
As another year comes to an end with a bang, we at LLM are celebrating another successful awards season. 2022 marks our fifth year of highlighting the best in travel, from the best hotels around the world to premium airlines, cruise lines, destinations and tour operators.
With the sole aim of showcasing the best in their industry and providing positive publicity for those businesses and destinations, we can safely say we’ve achieved this again. Our readers love to dream and travel, and they voted by the thousands – (more than 31,000) – to give their opinion from the carefully curated shortlist of options.
So the results are in and this year we can safely say that the winners of each category deserved their place. You will find the full list of winners here, but we’ve rounded up some of the standout winners below. As our Editor-in-Chief Nick Gibbens commented, “We are thrilled to be able to re-launch our awards and recognize the best of the best in the industry. Hopefully, these results will encourage travelers to seek out these premium picks for their next luxury vacation.
“Our discerning and dedicated readers have spoken, and we are immensely grateful to everyone who took it upon themselves to lend their support behind each and every one of our shortlisted hotels, destinations, cruise lines, airlines, airports, tour operators and… Throw travel sites .
“The travel industry is big and employs so many people who work tirelessly to promote destinations and provide the very best service and experiences for those who love to travel, explore and relax in a variety of exquisite settings. Hopefully we can give back to those in the industry, albeit in a small way, and send our support out there as well.
“Thank you to those who took the time to apply, to those who voted, to our award contributors, and we wish everyone in the industry the very best, especially those who are just starting out or have recently made theirs doors have opened again.”
So who were the standout winners?
In the UK, Linthwaite House in the Lake District has set a record in three categories in the Best UK Hotels category, winning Best Hotel for Food, Best Hotel for Wine and Best Hotel for Golf for the second year running “ Excellent, proving that this luxurious Windermere retreat really is a favorite for our readers.
The famous Hotel DUKES London beat 23 others for the Best Boutique Hotel in the UK, while the Francis Hotel in Bath took first place in both Best City Hotel and Best Hotel for Business categories. The Culloden Estate and Spa in Belfast was voted the best spa/wellness hotel in the UK and firm favorite Ellenborough Park in Cheltenham topped the list for best family hotel after winning the romance category last year.
Best Tour Operator and Best Specialist Tour Operator were won by The Luxury Travel Book and Emirates is back at the top of the list of best airlines, having won in 2018, 2019 and 2020 and being knocked out to second place by British Airways last year. Royal Caribbean tops ‘Best Ocean Cruise Line’ list for the third year running and ‘Best UK City’, Bath has ousted London at the top spot for the second year running.
Heading overseas and in the largest category – Best Hotel in Europe (outside the UK) – the Amada Colossos Resort in Rhodes, Greece was awarded, the As Janelas Verdes Hotel in Portugal’s capital Lisbon took second place and the Burgenstock Hotel and Resort, Lake Lucerne in Switzerland in third place.
Thailand certainly boasts some top hotels, with Akyra Manor Chiang Mai and Aleenta Hua Hin-Pranburi Resort and Spa taking first and second place respectively in the Best Hotel in Asia category. It was the Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort and Spa in Mahe that took the top spot in the Best Hotel in Africa category, narrowly beating South Africa’s Earth Lodge in the Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve.
The NH Collection New York Madison Avenue was named Best Hotel in North America, while the Hitlon Barra in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil was named Best Hotel in South America. Jade Mountain Resort in St. Lucia won the Caribbean category and Le Taha’a Island Resort and Spa in Tahiti won for Oceania.
The Amalfi Coast in Italy was the winner for Best Honeymoon Destination, while Verbier in Switzerland was named Best Ski Resort and Barcelona in Spain was voted Best City for the third consecutive year.
Hopefully you will agree that this has been another great year for the awards and we look forward to visiting and utilizing the services of the above distinguished winners.
- Precious Metals Industry: A Great Choice for Investment
- How to make the most of your travel advertising post-Covid: Best Media Info
- Finest Luxury Resorts With Outstanding Hospitality In Dubai
- The LLM Readers’ Travel Awards hits another successful year, the results are in
- Chicago based Travel agent Cindy Mayhron has best time in Saint Lucia
Adventure Travel11 months ago
The top 19 places to visit in the United States
Travel Products2 years ago
Best travel cameras in 2021! Capture high quality images wherever you go
Uncategorized1 year ago
Laptop Backpack with USB Charging Port ! Best Travel Backpack
Travel Products1 year ago
Waterproof Travel Laptop Backpack|Best Travel Backpack
Travel Products2 years ago
Top 6 Travel Accessories! Best Luxury Travel Accessories
Travel7 months ago
The best travel camera in 2022
Travel4 weeks ago
CSB Recruitment 2022
Travel4 months ago
First EU travel route with only digital ID pends approval: Finland to Croatia